Thursday, March 10, 2011

Making Terra Breads' ‘Artisan Granola’

I love homemade granola. It takes a little while to make but it is really easy and I find making granola at home makes it much more affordable. The recipe below makes a lot of granola so I keep it in the freezer and it takes me at least a few months to eat it all. Since  this recipe makes so many servings it’s much easier to make if you have an extra large mixing bowl and baking pan(s).

My favorite granola is Vancouver-based bakery Terra Breads’ ‘Artisan Granola’. The recipe below is my best attempt to recreate their recipe. It’s crispy, sweet and filled with nuts and dried fruit.

Ingredients

8 cups rolled oats
1 cup wheat germ
1/3 ground flax seed
1/2 cup dry millet
1 cup unsweetened coconut
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup coarsely chopped almonds
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1 cup coarsely chopped cashews

1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup honey or brown sugar
1 cup maple syrup
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

2 cups combination of chopped dates, raisins or sweetened dried cranberries

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.

2. Combine the dry ingredients (except the dried fruit) in a large bowl. Stir together the salt, brown sugar or honey, maple syrup, honey, oil, cinnamon, and vanilla in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat stirring constantly since it burns easily, then pour over the dry ingredients, and stir to coat. Spread the mixture out evenly on the baking sheets.

 3. Bake in the preheated oven until crispy and toasted, about 50 minutes (or less if you bake the granola on cookie sheets). Stir every ten minutes- burns quite easily! Add the raisins and/or dates, cranberries after about 30 minutes (or for the last 15 minutes or so, don't make the mistake of adding the dried fruit at the beginning since the fruit takes a much shorter time to become crispy and will easily burn). Cool before storing in an airtight container

13 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this recipe. I spent a year in Vancouver, and became addicted to the stuff... I now live in Perth, Australia and nothing compares!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one! I winged it on my own before I looked up a recipe. Consequently I put the dried fruit in before baking. Also missed the wet ingredients business. I'm hoping it will work if I put it in at 200 for less time... I'lll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just finished making this granola. DELICIOUS! Thank you so much for the recipe. I live on Vancouver Island so can only really get the granola on visits to Vancouver.

    My only caution - WATCH THIS VERY CAREFULLY. IT BURNS VERY EASILY. MINE WAS DONE IN MUCH LESS THAN 50 MINUTES. MAKE SURE YOU KEEP STIRRING IT AROUND SO IT ALL GETS COOKED.

    WELL DONE! love the recipe and thanks again.

    take care and be well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will try this. We live in Toronto now and can't get this anymore. On our last trip to Vancouver we brought back a suitcase-full (not kidding) of Terra Breads granola. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Those ingredients would make for some weird granola . Soul food ??

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much for this recipe, it has totally nailed my craving for Terra Breads Granola, from when we lived in Vancouver 3 years ago! There is nothing like it, you got the recipe SO spot-on! 👏🏻

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing!!!Any chance you know the recipe for the pistachio granola.I dream about it lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this, will try it out, I’m nearing the end of my supply. Moved from the west coast last year to Ontario and have been wondering what I would do when my supply ran out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this! We’re addicted and love the Terra granola eating it pretty much daily. However, since they’ve lowered the volume (1kg bag is now 800g) and raised the price ($22.95…ouch!) I went hunting for a recipe. This is delicious! And so much more bang for my buck. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love terra breads granola but can’t afford to fork out the 25$ a pop for a 1kg bag !! Definitely making my own hence forth . Thanks for going through the work of making the recipe !!!

    ReplyDelete